Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Farfel Apple Kugel

For Passover this year, I made a Farfel Apple Kugel for the first seder. My mom used to make it for Passover and I really love it. Since Hirsh doesn't like anything kugel-y, I was so happy that I got to make it for the seder. It is a pretty sweet dish, but it goes well with chicken or brisket and it is a great alternative to potatoes for a starchy side.

Apple Farfel Kugel
(I doubled it for a large crowd, but this is the normal dinner recipe that serves 6-8)
3 cups matzo farfel (cover with cold water)
3 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 C sugar
3 Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored, quartered and sliced thin
1/4 C raisins
3 tbsp KP vegetable oil

1. Combine eggs, salt, cinnamon and sugar in a large bowl.
2. Cover matzah farfel with cold water, and then drain immediately, pressing out excess moisture. Add to egg mixture and toss to coat.
3. Peel, core, quarter and thinly slice 3 granny smith apples. Add to mixture. Conveniently, my mom and dad bought us an apple peeler/slicer/corer gadget. It is really fun to use and makes preparing the apples really fast. It makes apple rings which are easily quartered with a knife and added to the kugel. It's also useful to peel potatoes if you take off the coring/ slicing attachment.

4. Stir in raisins and oil.

5. Put in greased 2 qt casserole dish and bake for 45 minutes uncovered. (For a double recipe, I used a Hefty Aluminum Lasagna pan and baked covered for 25 minutes and uncovered for an additional 30 minutes).
6. Serve. Can be saved and reheated at 350 degrees, covered for 45 min- 1 hour.

Difficulty: Medium
Debbie's Rating: 10
Hirsh's Rating: Hirsh doesn't do kugel.
Hirsh's Mom's Rating: Delicious, tastes like a dessert!
Co-worker's Rating: (I brought in leftovers to give people a taste of Passover) Gone in less than an hour and got rave reviews!

5 comments:

  1. I'd like to see more Kosher for Passover posts over the next few days. Specifically, matza pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the video clip! I got one of those apple things when we got married and had NO idea what I would ever do with it. Glad to see it does have a purpose. haha. Hope you have a wonderful holiday and enjoy all your special eats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt, matzah pizza, while delicious does not qualify as a cooking adventure! It's not cooking as much as it is assembling. We are also going to try matzah lasagna...very curious to see how that turns out!

    Christina, the apple thing is really fun! My mom also uses it when she makes homemade apple sauce. You should try yours out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I disagree. There's an oven involved. Ergo, cooking.

    Regardless... would you mind typing up the "assembly" instructions so I may try "assembling" it myself?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matt- I am emailing you the directions for matzah pizza!

    ReplyDelete