Monday, December 20, 2010

Thanksgiving Stuffing


This year it was my job to make stuffing for our 22-person Thanksgiving. I knew immediately to go to my cousin, Marcy for the recipe. Not only is Marcy a great cook, I always remember her stuffing as being very tasty! With her directions and suggestions I succeeded in making from-scratch stuffing that was delicious and enough to feed our large family! Although it was definitely a lot more work than using a mix or pre-made bread cubes, it was definitely worth the effort!

Thanksgiving Stuffing (for a crowd)
Three loaves high quality bread (I used Italian, Cibatta and hearty wheat for a nice mix)
6 tbsp butter
3 medium onions, chopped
2 bunches celery, chopped
1 package parsley, leaves only, chopped
1 package fresh sage, chopped
1 tsp dried sage
32 oz chicken stock (I used Nature's Promise Organic Stock)
Salt and pepper

1. Cut the bread into small cubes and toast in a single layer on cookie sheets at 300 degrees for 15 minutes, tossing twice until dry.
2. Cool cubes and transfer 3/4 of cubes to a large bowl or stock pot. Save 1/4 just in case you make the stuffing too moist or freeze for later use.
3. Melt butter in a large saute pan and saute celery and onion for a few minutes.
4. Add chopped parsley, sage, dried sage, salt and pepper and continue to saute until veggies are golden.
5. Add veggies to bread cubes and toss to combine.
6. Add chicken stock until bread cubes are moistened, but not soggy (3-4 cups).
7. Press into buttered casserole dish (I used my 9x13 lasagna pan since it has high sides).
8. Bake for 45 minutes at 350 covered and then an additional 15 minutes uncovered. (Since I was going somewhere I pre-baked for 30 min at my house, 30 min at 350 plus 15 uncovered).
9. Serve. Feeds a lot!

Difficulty: Hard (not really hard, just a lot of work)
Debbie's Rating: 10
Family Rating: Great!

No comments:

Post a Comment