Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Waffles


Since I am at home writing my dissertation, I like to watch one episode of "Good Eats" while I eat lunch. We have about 20 episodes on our DVR at any given time and it is on a few times per week, so this works out quite well. In addition, I still feel like I am learning "science" even at lunch! I mentioned to Hirsh that Alton Brown made chocolate chocolate chip waffles on his "Wonderous Waffles" episode and of course, he was really excited to try them. We made them for Sunday brunch and they were delicious. I didn't want to cut the recipe in half, so I just froze the leftovers for a future treat!

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Waffles
1 1/2 C flour
3 tbsp sugar
1/2 C cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 eggs, beaten
3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 tsp vanilla extract
14 ounces buttermilk, room temperature
3/4 mini chocolate chips
Vegetable spray, for waffle iron
Strawberries and powdered sugar for topping (optional)

1. Whisk together all dry ingredients.
2. In a separate bowl, beat eggs with melted butter and then add vanilla and buttermilk.
3. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Add chocolate chips and mix.
4. Preheat waffle iron to highest setting and let batter sit for 5 minutes.
5. Spray waffle iron with non-stick spray.
6. Pour batter into waffle iron, briefly spreading out with a rubber spatula.
7. Cook until waffle iron indicator light shows that waffles are done.
8. Serve with strawberries and powdered sugar for an extra special treat! Leftovers can be frozen and heated in toaster oven similar to eggo waffles.

Difficulty: Easy
Debbie's Rating: 10
Hirsh's Rating: 9

No comments:

Post a Comment