Thursday, August 5, 2010

Broccoli, Mushroom and Cheddar Quiche

Hirsh and I made my mom a special birthday dinner when we were in Pittsburgh this past weekend. I get a lot of my recipes from her, so I wanted to make her something that she doesn't make. Since she usually makes spinach and ricotta quiche, I thought it would be fun to make a more traditional egg-based quiche. I paired it with sourdough bread with herbed butter and fresh salad. The dinner turned out great and I couldn't have done it without my WONDERFUL sous chef, Hirsh!

Broccoli, Mushroom and Cheddar Quiche
1 9-inch frozen pie shell
1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 C skim milk
3 eggs, beaten
2 tbsp butter, melted
1 tbsp flour
1 tsp salt
Few grinds black pepper
1 C shredded cheddar cheese, divided

1. Preheat oven to degrees.
2. Peirce bottom of pie crust with a fork and bake about 10 minutes. Let cool. Cover edges of pie crust with aluminum foil so it won't burn.
3. Steam broccoli for 10 minutes until just tender. (if you want a shortcut, you can use frozen broccoli instead, but I prefer fresh)
4. Saute mushrooms in a bit of olive oil until golden brown.
5. Combine milk, eggs, melted butter, flour salt and pepper and 1/2 C cheese and whisk until well blended.
6. Sprinkle remaining half cup of cheese over crust and press down lightly (this creates a protective barrier so the crust doesn't get soggy from the egg mixture).
7. Layer mushrooms and broccoli on cheese and pour egg mixture over everything. (*Note be careful not to have large sections of cheese exposed on top. It will burn...I learned this the hard way)
8. Bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
9. Let rest for 5 minutes and serve. Makes 4 entree portions.

Difficulty: Medium
Debbie's Rating: 9.5
Hirsh's Rating: 9
Mom and Dad's Rating: 10

No comments:

Post a Comment