Saturday, May 8, 2010

Jalapeno Corn Bread

Pharmaceutical Sciences had a potluck lunch for cinco de mayo and I decided to make Jalapeno Corn bread. I have made regular corn bread from scratch before, but this was my first time for jalapeno corn bread. Actually it was my first time buying jalapeno peppers! I found the recipe on allrecipes.com and doubled it to 9x13 size (originally 9x9) to make it for a crowd. The corn bread turned out very well and definitely had a kick every time you got one of the little pepper pieces- very Mexican!

Jalapeno Corn Bread
3 C cornmeal
1 C flour
3/4 C sugar
1 tbsp + 1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
4 eggs
2 C buttermilk
1/2 C olive oil
4 jalapeno peppers, ribbed, seeded and finely chopped
*Note: Wear gloves when you are chopping jalapeno's and don't touch your eyes since it will burn!

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Whisk eggs, buttermilk and olive oil.
4. Add chopped jalapeno peppers to dry ingredients and mix to combine.
5. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring until just combined.
6. Pour into greased 9x13 glass baking dish.
7. Bake for 22 minutes and check with a toothpick.
8. Cool and slice. Serves a lot!

Difficulty: Easy
Debbie's Rating: 8.5- the peppers were a little spicy for me! Maybe I will chop them finer next time.
Potluck reception: Everybody really liked it!

2 comments:

  1. Looks great! Glad you made the comment about wearing gloves. One time Bill chopped jalepenos without gloves and touched his eye AFTER washing his hands 4 times. His eye still swelled up like crazy and watered all night long. Those peppers are CRAZY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is crazy! I had no idea that they were so potent! I am glad that I wore gloves and I definitely washed the knife and cutting board really well too!

    ReplyDelete