Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Healthy Oatmeal Applesauce Muffins


I love muffins. With the exception of lemon-poppyseed, I don't think I have ever had a muffin I didn't like. Unfortunately, muffins are not usually very good for you, especially the enormous ones that they sell at places like Giant or Costco (if you look at the nutrition facts, 1 serving is 1/3 of a muffin! I have never seen someone eat only 1/3!) I used to buy the Trader Joe's healthy muffins, but there was always something strange tasting about them. So I decided to make my own. I found this base recipe on a blog and made some modifications. My most recent modification was actually Christina's suggestion- substituting vanilla yogurt for oil, and it worked really well! They are relatively low fat and high in fiber from the oatmeal. Since Hirsh doesn't eat muffins, I make them and freeze them and microwave one before Saturday morning jazzercise-- a perfect pre-workout snack!

Healthy Oatmeal Applesauce Muffins
1 1/2 C oatmeal
1 1/4 C flour
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 C applesauce
1/2 C skim milk
1/2 C brown sugar
3 tbsp vanilla yogurt
2 tbsp oil
1 egg
1/2 C raisins (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Combine oatmeal, flour, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda.
3. Add applesauce, milk, brown sugar, yogurt, oil, egg and raisins.
4. Line muffin tins with papers or spray with non-stick spray.
5. Fill muffin tins about 3/4 full (makes 12-15 muffins).

6. Bake for 20 minutes.
7. Let cool and then remove from muffin tins.

8. Freezes very well!

Difficulty: Easy
Debbie's Rating: 10! (I love the vanilla yogurt-oil substitution. Adds flavor with no change in texture! Thanks again Christina!)
Hirsh's Rating: Hirsh doesn't eat muffins!


8 comments:

  1. These are great! I made them for matt's family over easter weekend and they were such a hit! Hirsch doesn't know what he's missing!! Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Hirsh is a weirdo for not liking muffins or breads, that is for sure! More for me, right? And I'm so glad that Matt's family liked them! Thanks again for the vanilla yogurt substitution- very smart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does Hirsh know that a muffin can be very filling?

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you know, Hirsh has some very peculiar dislikes. He doesn't like any kind of sweet bread or muffin of any flavor. Not sure why. So I don't think it has to do with muffins being filling or not, he just doesn't like the taste. He said once that he kind of likes "plain" muffins, but he hates corn muffins and I am not sure how much more plain that that you can really get. Mimi's cafe has AMAZING muffins so if you like muffins, you should be very excited for dinner on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I was just referencing a Seinfeld episode.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clearly the reference was lost on me...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's lost on me also, but these muffins look outstanding. I won't make them, but I am going to give the recipe to my mom

    ReplyDelete