Friday, February 26, 2010

Lemon Chicken Piccata


I debuted this recipe in my kitchen on February 14, 2008 as a special Valentine's Day dinner for (my then boyfriend) Hirsh. I had gotten the recipe from my mom and while it was relatively simple, it still had a "fancy" quality about it, so it seemed perfect for our special Valentine's Day dinner. Hirsh loved the dish so much that it has gone from "fancy dinner" to "got home late after working out" dinner. It is quick and easy to make, but somehow always manages to make my kitchen look like a cyclone hit it (mostly from the flour everywhere)... but it is always worth the cleaning up.

Lemon Chicken Piccata
2 boneless chicken breasts
Flour
Salt
Pepper
1 lemon, cut into 4 slices, rind removed, plus few slices for garnish
1/2 C white wine
2 tsp Butter (I use Smart Balance since it is nondairy and has less fat)
2 tsp olive oil

1. Flatten chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap until about 1/4 inch thick.
2. Dredge in flour seasoned with a few shakes/ twists of salt/ pepper and shake off the excess.
3. Heat skillet with butter and oil just over medium heat until fats are shimmery.
4. Add chicken to skillet, cooking 4-5 minutes for each side until chicken is golden and cooked through.

5. Add wine to the skillet along with lemons and a bit more flour to thicken the sauce. Stir chicken breasts in the sauce for a few minutes until the sauce reduces.
6. Serve with your vegetable and starch of choice, garnished with a fresh slice of lemon!

Difficulty: Easy-Medium
Hirsh's Rating: 9
Debbie's Rating: 9

2 comments:

  1. One thing I always do to keep the mess contained is put the seasoned flour in a Ziploc and just shake the chicken in there, then throw the bag away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I do that with bread crumbs, but I never thought to do it with flour. I'll try it next time.

    ReplyDelete